Thermollite 45 Insulating Shapes & Launders
Thermollite 45 is a preformed, insulating refractory available in a density range of 40–50 lb/ft3 (640.7–800.9 kg/m3). It has been specifically developed for direct contact with molten aluminium and its various alloys, providing the specific advantage of reducing heat loss in melt transfer applications involving a low rate of metal flow. Thermollite 45 can also serve as an alternative to certain insulating, vacuum formed, and refractory ceramic fiber shapes. Preheating is not necessary, however, storage in a dry heated area is recommended prior to use in molten metal applications.
Thermollite 45 eliminates the need for an aluminium resistant coating to achieve multiple casting campaigns. The performance of Thermollite 45 has been demonstrated on such items as launders and level feed tundishes commonly used in aluminium continuous strip casting.
- Continuous casting launders
- Continuous casting level feed tundishes and other preformed shapes
- Other preformed shapes for molten aluminium applications
- Non-wetted by molten aluminium and its alloys
- Insulating properties reduce undesirable heat loss
- Resistant to thermal shock
- Does not require the application of aluminium resistant coatings
- Does not contain alumina silicate refractory ceramic fibers
- Lightweight for ease of handling
- Does not require a supporting steel shell in certain applications such as continuous casting launders
- Reusable for multiple casts