Sodium Free Flux for high Magnesium and other Aluminium Alloys
This is a sodium free flux designed for alloys which are high in magnesium, or sensitive to sodium, or where alloy manufacturers recommend that sodium be avoided with particular alloys. It may be used as a cover and / or drossing flux, and is recommended for dipout wells on reverberatory furnaces, crucible-type furnaces, and transfer ladles.
- The recommended temperature range is 1325–1375ºF (718–746ºC).
- The method for application largely depends on the operators’ intention for the flux.
- Some practices call for an addition of flux at the start of a charge, for instance, in crucible melting.
- Other practices are quite successful where the application is made when the furnace is charged but before a degassing cycle.
- Another option allows an operator to add the flux, rabble well into the dross, then skim.
- A general guideline for quantity is to broadcast ¼ inch (6 mm) over the entire surface of the particular furnace.
- In all instances, careful skimming is essential for efficient metal recovery.
Physical Properties and Product Blend
- Pyroflux 305 is a beige-white powder flux containing potassium sulfate, potassium chloride and calcium fluoride.
Quality castings begin with proper fluxing practices. Contact your Pyrotek Sales Engineer to determine the appropriate flux for your operation. 866-Pyrotek (866-797-6835)